Here at FreezerFit, we love smoothie recipes for just about any occasion! Most people opt for smoothies as a quick breakfast or extra filling snack. Smoothies are generally packed with nutrients and fiber from fruit: You can boost the fat content of your smoothie with add-ins like nut butter or avocado. Unsaturated fats like these help digest the sugars in the fruit and make the smoothie nice and creamy! In general, smoothie recipes can be customized to whatever your heart desires.
Can You Meal Prep Smoothies?
Yes! You can meal prep smoothies. You can prepare them today and freeze them for later. Actually, this is a great way to save money by meal prepping.
Smoothie recipes can be so versatile and different. From tropical flavors, to berries, to greens and more, there are many ways to build a smoothie! Smoothie recipes are simple and can even involve as little as two ingredients: You just need something frozen, like fruit, and liquid to blend. It’s one of the easiest foods to prepare and mix up in a jiff. Smoothie recipes can be full of extra nutrients and vitamins. You can also add in hemp seeds, chia seeds, protein powder, nut butter, and so much more.
It’s also easy to sneak in some greens to your smoothie recipes. Raw spinach, kale, chard, and collard greens are common greens to put in smoothies. To give it a try, check out FreezerFit’s Banana Berry Smoothie featuring kale and spinach— We promise you won’t taste those earthy greens!
Frozen Smoothie Meal Prep
Smoothie recipes are easy to make ahead of time for frozen meal prep. All you need to start is frozen fruit and a liquid-like juice or milk. A good smoothie ratio to work with is 1 part liquid, 2 parts solid fruit or vegetables. This is a good base to go off when making your own smoothie. Then, consider adding in other ingredients like yogurt, nut butter, and seeds in smaller amounts. Some ingredients to include in your frozen meal prep smoothies other than fruit can include:
- Hemp, flax, or chia seeds for fiber and nutrients.
- For liquid, try almond milk, coconut milk, coconut water, or fruit juice.
- Honey, maple syrup, or dates for sweetness.
- Avocado, nut butter, seed butter, or yogurt, for fat and creaminess.
- Lemon juice, ginger, turmeric, or vanilla, for aromatics.
Frozen meal prep like smoothies makes it convenient to eat healthy and enjoy good food. Meal prep smoothies similar to how you would make them on the spot. First, add solids like fruit, leafy greens, nuts, and seeds to a freezer safe bag. Freeze overnight, then add to a blender. Add in your liquids like plant milk, and other ingredients like avocado, nut butter, or yogurt. Then blend!
Our Favorite – Meal Prep Smoothies for Busy Mornings
Meal prep smoothies are an easy way to eat more fruit and even greens! Many people prepare their own smoothies for later without even thinking about it. Meal prepping smoothies is easy in the freezer: Frozen fruit is handy enough and you don’t need much else. Though you can make just about any smoothie into a meal prep smoothie, we recommend these options to start:
- Berry spinach smoothies (serves two): To sneak in some extra greens, try a mixed berry smoothie with spinach. Add 2 cups raw spinach and 2 cups berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.) to a freezer-safe bag. Freeze overnight. Add to a blender with 1 cup coconut water and blend until smooth.
- Strawberry banana smoothie (serves two): Add 1 medium sliced banana and 2 cups strawberries to a freezer-safe bag. Freeze overnight. Add to a blender with 1 cup almond milk and blend until smooth.
- Orange peach smoothie (serves two): Add 2 cups sliced peaches, ½ cup diced mango, and 2 tbsp chia or hemp seeds to a freezer-safe bag. Freeze overnight. Add to a blender with 1 cup orange juice and blend until smooth. For another similar tasting smoothie, whip up FreezerFit’s tropical greens smoothie.
- Mango papaya smoothie: This smoothie recipe includes maca powder, which comes from a highly nutritious plant and tastes very subtle. Freeze everything but the dates and water, then add it all to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Chocolate smoothies: A base of banana and cacao powder make FreezerFit’s own chocolate smoothie extra creamy and delicious!
Frozen meal prep for lunch and dinner can be just as easy too: Take a peek at FreezerFit’s free guide to Preparing 10 Healthy Meals for an idea of how frozen meal prep works with entrees and other dishes!